About Sisal Carpet
Sisal carpet is growing in popularity in the greater Overland Park, Shawnee, Lenexa, Prairie Village areas because it is eco-friendly and has a natural, rustic look. Sisal carpets are made from the fibers of a cactus-like plant called Agave sisalana, native to Africa and Brazil. Once the leaves are cut, the fibers are extracted. These fibers are cut, dried, and treated to produce twine that can then be woven into rugs. There are many possibilities in terms of the weave pattern, and the photo above is just one example. Just like hemp and coir, sisal provides durability that most manmade materials can’t match. Because of its durability, sisal doesn’t show wear patterns or footprints common in most types of carpeting.
Benefits of Sisal Carpet
- It’s naturally stain-resistant, so it doesn’t require any chemical treatments that may be harmful to children and pets.
- Sisal carpet is a very low-maintenance carpet option, all that’s needed is weekly vacuuming!
- It repels dust and static electricity.
- Sisal carpet absorbs sound better than other carpeting material.
- It’s naturally flame-resistant.
- It can be combined with other natural fibers such as wool or sea grass.
- Sisal is available in tan, beige, or a creamy white color.
- Sisal does not do well with moisture and should be avoided in rooms with a lot of moisture such as the bathroom.
- It may feel rough underfoot compared to traditional carpet materials, so it may not be best to sit or lie on for prolonged periods.
- It can be prone to color-fading, especially with prolonged exposure to the sun.
- Because sisal is so absorbent, it does stain fairly easy. Make sure to clean up any spills or stains right away and use spot treatment as needed.
Let the experts at Floor Coverings International Kansas City West help you select the perfect new carpet during your free in-home design consultation. We proudly serve the greater Overland Park, Shawnee, Lenexa, Prairie Village areas and look forward to working with you!